Avkin partners with institutions around the United States to offer simulation workshops with CEU credits available. Please see the FAQ below for more information. If interested in hosting a workshop, please click the button below to contact us.
What is the agenda?
9:00am: Welcome, Networking, Registration
9:30am-10:00 Minutes: Tour of your Simulation Center (because everyone always wants to see the spaces)
10:00am-11:00am: Workshop Topic (options below)
11:00am-12:00pm: Workshop Topic (options below)
12:00pm-1:00pm: Lunch, Catered by Avkin
(Optional) 1:00pm-2:00pm: Workshop Topic
2:00pm-2:30pm: Simulated Participant (patient actor)/Product Showcase and Q&A
Who are the educators?
Our CEO and Founder, Amy Cowperthwait (University of Delaware) - Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Nurse Education Specialist Kim DeYoung (Kankakee Community College) - Curriculum Vitae (CV)
From what educational institution do you offer CEUs?
At the present time we would offer them through the host institution with Avkin covering the fees and filling out any appropriate paperwork.
Could you provide a detailed outline of each topic?
We typically offer 1-3 topics per workshop. Kindly provide us with the ones you are most interested in and we will provide a detailed outline.
- Simulation with millennial’s- How does it change things?
- Simulation and Compassionate Connected Care
- The Down & Dirty of Debriefing: Looking at the Why, What, Where, When & How
- Lessons From the Street: Getting Started with Simulation-Enhanced Interprofessional Education
- Help Me Think Like a Nurse, Please! Tools of the Trade to Increase Critical Thinking Skills
- Best practices for starting an affordable Simulated Participant Program
- How to modify your current simulations to include simulated participants
- Educating your simulated participants correctly, the first time.
- Maximizing the debriefing process- The essentials to patient centered feedback.
- Hybrid simulation- What is it and why should you be considering it?
What is the length of time for each topic?
50 minutes - 1 hour
What kind of support do you require from the host institution?
Very little is needed. Space to host the event, eager participants, and inviting your friends and colleagues. If you have additional resources to help in marketing the event, that is welcomed, but not required.
How many participants would you need?
We would prefer a minimum of 3-4 participating institutions with a minimum of 10 attendees. Average attendance would be 20-25 attendees. Maximum attendance depends on the amount of space we have to work with and can be set by the host institution.
What type of facilities are required?
Space large enough to host a minimum of 10 attendees. A simulation center close by is preferred.
What are the approximate calendar dates that would be required?
This is up to the host institution as long as the Avkin team is available. We suggest scheduling at least 2 months in advance in order for the best outcome. We are also open to combining this workshop with regional/state simulation group meetings, conferences, and get togethers.